Friday, April 22, 2011

Emnet sideboard

Emnet sideboard by Paparwark
Emnet sideboard, a photo by Paparwark on Flickr.

When I was in Norway I was really interested in how they would look for the correct shaped piece of timber to make a component from. When returning to Shetland I was keen to try out this approach. With the lack of timber I decided to tackle the issue the other way round. I asked the local forestry manager if he could find me two pieces of a certain shape. When it arrived I then let the wood do the talking. The piece ended up being inspired from both the Norwegian tradition that I had been learning about and the British tradition which I had been trained in. The uprights are made from local Shetland sycamore and were shaped using axes and a draw knife so you can still see the tool marks. The top and bottom pieces are African bubinga and have been highly polished to a very high standard in the manner I was trained in high Wycombe. So this piece is the combining of two traditions to make a beautiful sculptural sideboard

No comments:

Post a Comment